Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I Mother Earth–London, Ontario

While we were at Disney World, I would sometimes spend a couple minutes at meal times checking up on my emails and facebook, post a photo or status, and just connect in general. I'm so glad I did, because one of the days I got an email notifying me of an upcoming I Mother Earth concert titled "A (very long) Evening with I Mother Earth". It took about two minutes for Travis and I to decide to buy the tickets, which were very reasonably priced! Thank goodness for smartphones!

The Marathon crew for the marathon concert!

Travis, Mike, Tyler, with Dave looking like some random dude photo bombing the picture in the background.

IMG_6559

The concert format was an hour with an acoustic set and Q&A. Then after a break they played a three hour plugged in set. It was pretty amazing. We were front row centre, and the venue was very small. We were so close to the band that I had to pan my phone back and forth to see all the band members.

"I is Us" Acoustic

"Summertime in the Void" Acoustic

I Mother Earth has some dedicated fans. Both times they played "Summertime in the Void" (once acoustic and once plugged in) the whole crowd sang the chorus. Even over the super loud plugged in music all you could hear was the singing. I really loved seeing the acoustic drumming, it was so cool seeing it all close up like that. At one point during the plugged in part they had three drummers drumming completely in sync.

IMG_6568

One of the great parts of seeing IME live is the enthusiasm they have for their music. They really create an energy in the room that is impossible to ignore. Even though we've been to see them three times in the past year, it's always amazing, it's always epic, and it's always an incredibly long set list that takes us into the wee hours of the morning.

IMG_6576

During the break between sets, Travis commented on the (very small) distance between the security barrier we were leaning on and the stage. He thought that it would be a great spot for the lead singer, Brian Byrne, to step on. He didn't end up doing that during the show, but during the encore he not only stood there, but held on to Travis for balance.

IMG_6561

Travis wore his Han Solo "I'm in it for the money" shirt to the concert, his one and only souvenir from Disney World. He wanted to ask the band "Star Wars or Star Trek" during the question and answer period but decided to ask about whether they'd be releasing a DVD/Bluray of their comeback show in March 2012. The answer to that was a resounding "no" according to Jag (the guitarist) unfortunately. But Travis inadvertently got an answer to his unasked question during the acoustic set when Brian noticed his shirt and said "Awesome shirt, Han Solo is my favourite!"

Jag

IMG_6583

IMG_6591

Brian (with Jag and Chris in the background)

IMG_6594

IMG_6604

IMG_6610

In the end, I consider this money well spent. We'll probably go see them again next time they play near us. Hopefully with some more new songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment