Felix has been suffering from a significant amount of school jealousy. Specifically, he is very upset that Arthur gets to go to school and he doesn't. Thinking that this might happen, I set my phone alarm to 6am on the day that the library free programs registration starts. At first, despite getting up early and trying to register right away, I was thwarted on registering him for "Messy Art" because it was for 2-3 year olds and I initially put his age in at 3.5 years since that was an option. Once I dropped it down to just 3 years, we were in. I initially felt a little guilty over this, but now that we've been to some classes we know he is not the only kid his age there and some kids are even a few months older.
We usually arrive at the library about twenty five minutes before the program is set to start so that we can explore, read some stories, and just have a little free play time before Felix is expected to sit still and follow along.
The first week of Messy Art consisted of giant cardboard castles and chalk. The kids could colour any part of the cardboard that they wanted to. Felix absolutely loved it!
The second week the kids made rocket ships with the first letter of their name, and had some sensory play with modeling clay and different bits and bobs like pipe cleaners, buttons, and straws.
Week three the kids made "telescopes", a glittery moon (I KNEW there would be glitter, but still I hated it) and tin foil moon rocks. This one was a huge hit.
A quick Captain Rex pose before class…
Week four was based around colours. We sorted, stacked, and played with the colours. Then Felix coloured a leaf with markers on blotting paper and got it wet to watch the colours bleed together. And finally Felix pasted bits of coloured tissue paper on a fish picture in the shape of the letter "F". He can now recognize the first letter of his name every time he sees it, and will loudly exclaim "That's my name!" when he spots one
We have also been going to "Stories and More" which is a free drop-in program on Mondays. Last week, they did a craft after the stories and songs where they planted beans. These just sprouted yesterday and are already super tall! I'm going to have to make this project disappear soon though as I certainly can't plant them in the garden now that we've hit the end of October.
Aaaand I've just realised that Felix wears that Mickey Mouse shirt WAY too much…
No comments:
Post a Comment