We’re almost done planting our spring garden. A lot of the perennials (including my roses, yay!) are coming back strong, but some things haven’t made it through the winter. Our list of casualties is topped by our lovely hydrangea and our brand new pear tree sapling. Unfortunately the rabbit took it’s toll over the winter and the pear tree has been scrapped while we’re still holding out a bit of hope for the hydrangea.
We still have some planting to do in the raised veggie garden, and I have some mulch to lay down in the front flower gardens, but we finally finished the majority of the truly back-breaking labour today. Tilling and amending the soil was a lot harder than I expected, especially since we put so much effort into the exact same thing last year!
This year we decided to put aside some real estate for the boys to each have their own garden. Arthur chose to plant a broccoli plant, and some rainbow carrots. Felix planted the same as well as some pretty cool looking beets. We also expanded our tomato plants this year to three roma tomato plants. The goal this year is to make our fresh salsa with 90% home grown ingredients!
Tomatoes (back row), Felix’s garden (front left), Arthur’s Garden (front right)
We decided to attempt strawberries again this year. I built up the side garden I dug out last year for the sunflowers and planted the strawberries there along with raspberries, blackberries, and a couple of sweet bell pepper plants. Fingers crossed the strawberries don’t curl up and die like they seem to every other year!
And just in case the strawberries I planted in the ground decide they hate me like all of their predecessors who would rather wilt and die than give me a few paltry berries, I also picked up a hanging strawberry plant. It already has unripe berries formed on it, so I’d really have to screw it up to not get at least a couple berries from this one.
We replaced the poor rabbit ridden pear tree with a honey crisp apple tree. Everyone seems pretty excited by this, even the apple tree which is starting to bloom profusely. Here’s hoping for apples this year!
Unfortunately, the cherry tree out front also took a lot of damage from that wascally wabbit. It’s not dead yet, and is blooming a little bit, likely in an attempt to prove it feels happy and avoid the bring-out-your-dead one way wheelbarrow trip to the yard waste bags.
In other gardening related news, the bulbs I planted last fall for my early spring flower garden are all sprouting and blooming nicely. The pop of colour from the tulips and daffodils is just fantastic!
No comments:
Post a Comment