Friday, January 28, 2011

Going to the Place with the Fire

We went to Lindsay's house again today for a play date. When I told Arthur this morning (I never tell him ahead of time in case of last minute cancellations, we all have kids after all!) he got all excited, then stopped and asked if we were going to "the place with the fire?" Now to elaborate on that, Lindsay has a gas fireplace that turns on automatically to heat the house. Arthur is always excited when it turns on and fascinated by the fact that it magically knows when to turn on and off all by itself.

The kids had a blast as usual. The moms also had a good time while simultaneously being annoyed with our own kids. So many conversations interrupted with "mommy, mommy, mommy" or "if I have to tell you again, you'll go in time out" But we usually managed to pick up where we left off.

By the end of the afternoon, Arthur and Sienna were playing with her dress-up jewelry and Arthur gave Sienna a ring. Sienna came running out of her room to tell her mom that Arthur gave her a ring, and they were getting married because she had two babies in her belly. A girl and a boy. I had a parenting fail moment in that I just couldn't hold a straight face through the whole story. Then we asked Arthur if the babies were why he gave Sienna the ring, and like a true man who has been cornered by his womenfolk, he denied everything. No, of course he was going to give her the ring anyway, the twins had nothing to do with it! It was pretty funny, but soon devolved into the two kids running around shirtless (and in Arthur's case, sockless) covered in play jewelry and calling each other "poop" then laughing hysterically. I really need to stop Arthur from calling people names, even if it is as hilariously innocent as "poop". Step one will have to be: stop laughing every time he does it. Though the knock knock joke makes me laugh still:

knock knock
who's there?
poop!

Ah the 3 year old potty humour. Oddly enough, this is the joke he insists on telling every time I'm in the bathroom. Maybe because there is an actual door to knock on, maybe just because he thinks it's appropriate?

No pictures from today, but I have a one from another playdate this week that I discovered on my camera yesterday, notice the shirtlessness, I'm going to be using a lot of sunscreen this summer on that boy:

1 comment: