Friday, January 27, 2012

Retro Post–In Which We Travel Some More

January 2007

Travis and I had decided that we enjoyed travelling so much that it was going to be our christmas gift to each other this year. We planned on booking last minute to save money. It worked like a charm, we got a great deal on a great resort in the Dominican Republic.

n614185200_1020018_97

The resort we went to was a golf resort, so it was right up Travis’s alley. He got to go golfing, and I got to go to the spa. It was perfect. And, since we weren’t honeymooning we made some great vacation friends!

n614185200_1020020_800

It rained almost daily while we were there, but usually just torrential downpours once a day for a few minutes. It did cause some complications for me though, the whole resort was paved with marble which gets extremely slippery when wet. I ended up walking around barefoot when it was wet because otherwise I would fall flat on my face.

n614185200_1020027_3233

We did just one excursion this time, to the local town to see an amber museum, do some shopping, and visit an old Spanish colonial fort. I got some great amber and larimar jewelry at one shopping place before the amber museum. Then at the museum they proceeded to tell us that fake amber was a problem there and that sometimes it was hard to tell the difference. Luckily, if you have a black light (and they did, in one of the displays about fake amber) you could test your amber to see if it was real. Mine was all real and I breathed a sigh of relief.

n614185200_1020028_3575n614185200_1020033_5330n614185200_1020034_5674n614185200_1020035_6039n614185200_1020037_6721

Some of you might recognize this next picture from my CobbledStone website, it was the pathway up to the old fort.

n614185200_1020030_4265

This was possibly one of the best christmas gift ideas we’ve ever had. We had so much time to sit and spend with each other. Though because we went during NFL playoffs, we did still spend some time watching football on Sunday. Travis actually stocked up on the free beer included in the mini fridge in our room, hiding full beer every day until we had quite a few for football. Unfortunately it was the worst beer I’ve ever tasted! Neither of us even finished that first drink.

It was on this trip that we decided to start trying to expand our family. We had even decided on the name Arthur while there. Not too much later, we were expecting Arthur in December 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment