Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stop SOPA and PIPA

strike-paper-new

I’m sure many of my friends are tired of hearing about SOPA from me by now, but I’ll mention it here again anyway. Today many websites are on blackout for the day to protest SOPA and PIPA being passed. I’ve been seeing the argument a lot of “Why would you oppose something that is supposed to prevent copyright infringement?” and it’s alarming to see how many people just don’t understand what these bills could do to the internet.

stop-sopa-bill-300x300

Social networks could be shut down for the posts of one user. Websites can be shut down as soon as they are accused and then have to go through long legal battles to prove they are innocent. And not being an American citizen won’t help the rest of us. The US controls many DNS addresses of Canadian websites and they would be under US jurisdiction.

SOPA

For those of us who don’t live in the US, we can sign this online petition to the State Department. I don’t know that it will help, but I don’t see how it could hurt.

http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment