Today I decided to try some new things while potty training Arthur. I put him in big boy underwear, cars of course and set the microwave timer for every 30 minutes. When the timer went off he had to go sit on the potty. Then he got his standard chocolate and sticker reward. I'm really getting tired of changing his diapers, so I'm hoping this works! At the end of the day though, it's hard to tell whether it was a success or not. The final tally was potty: 6, accident: 4. I guess I should be happy that he used the potty 6 times, but to be fair 3 of those times were him finishing up on the potty after having an accident. Apparently he still doesn't quite get "holding it in." Whenever I would tell him to hold it in (during a frantic rush to the potty) he would very calmly tell me "No Mommy, I hold it up!" I'm still undecided if this has something to do with boys anatomy that I'm not getting but it was good for a chuckle every time he said it. Since this was my first time putting him in big boy underwear and not quite sure if I was jumping the gun with that move or not, I toweled up the whole living room carpet in case of emergency. Similar to newspaper when house training a puppy:

During all of this potty training hijinx, we had a pretty good day. Arthur was so proud to be in big boy underwear, saying "I don't wear diapers anymore, I'm a big boy." He also was having a good day playing with Felix. Showing him toys and "helping" him in his jumperoo or with his soother. He was very careful though and even warned Travis "remember to be careful with Felix" when Travis came home and tickled Felix.


Arthur also seems to have this idea lately that if something has happened once already it doesn't need to happen again or won't happen again. If you tell him to go poop on the potty, he'll tell you that he already has even though that one time was weeks ago. Today I was telling him not to brush the kitty's hair backwards because the kitty would scratch him and he told me that he wouldn't because the kitty already scratched him (again weeks ago!) Luckily Lando didn't scratch him this time, even though Arthur was trying to brush his hair into "zebra hair" a la the Madagascar movies. We have a long suffering and very patient cat!
Oh Poor Lando! I'm laughing out loud right now. Your boy is so HILARIOUS!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I know, and you know how much cats *love* to have their fur brushed backwards ;)
ReplyDelete