Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fake Guns?

Today we are all back to mostly normal good health. Thank goodness! I'm looking forward to a real nights sleep tonight. Of course tonight will be the night that Felix will be up all night, but a girl can hope! I decided that we had had enough of being cooped up and that it was a beautiful day to get out. My original intention was to put Felix in the stroller and let Arthur walk to burn off some energy. He wasn't having any of it though and insisted on being pushed in the stroller while we ran errands. So I decided to carry Felix instead of taking the double stroller. I also decided that I wanted some baby carrying pictures of Felix and I while he's still little so here they are:



Excuse the double chin, but I love those pictures. Mostly because of Felix's expressions!

So after errand running we stopped at the little park by our house. Arthur was very excited to play at the park, we haven't been for a long time it seems. All was well at first, he was having a blast and then I ran into a mommy dilemma. Another mom showed up at the park with her son who looked to be about Arthur's age or younger. No problem, right? Well right away a few things were a bit off base. The main one being that this little boy was wearing just a t-shirt and pants, no coat or sweater, and no shoes or socks. It was a beautiful day, but long sleeves worthy at least! And I don't quite get the no shoes in October thing. Anyways, still no real problem. Well the little boy also starts climbing all over the equipment for the older kids. Stuff I wouldn't let Arthur climb on unless I was right there to catch him. I actually had to look away because it was making me so nervous, I was sure he was going to fall and hurt himself. The mom seemed to object as well, but didn't speak English so I don't really know what she said. Whatever she said, the little boy didn't listen or stop what he was doing and she eventually turned back to her laptop. Still none of this really affects me, none of my business. Then the little boy grabs a big stick. Holds it under his arm and starts "firing" it like a rifle. Chasing Arthur while firing the gun. Arthur was clearly upset by this, I don't think he's ever seen anyone playing guns. He kept coming over to me, I would reassure him and he would go play somewhere else on the playground. The the other little boy would come "shooting" at him again. At one point Arthur found a big stick of his own and stood there considering it for a second before I took it away saying that we didn't need to play with sticks just now. The last thing I needed was for the situation to escalate. Ordinarily I would have said something either to the mom or the boy, but in this case I wasn't sure if either spoke English and it seemed like the mom didn't care enough to intervene if her son didn't understand me. A tough situation. Poor Arthur was still upset about it at bedtime and I can't help but feel like I should have done something other than leave the park (which is what we did) I guess I'll find out next time something like this happens what I'll do.







Today I also got my new skins for my iPod and cell from Skinit.com. So excited! I've been waiting for these forever. I even had to go through customer service and get my shipping fees reimbursed because the package took so long to be delivered. Either way, they're here now and I love them! They are just like stickers for your electronics to personalize them without adding the huge bulk that a case does.




1 comment:

  1. It must have made quite the impression on Arthur. I asked if he wanted to go to the park here to play on the slide and he immediately said there's a boy with a stick there. We talked about this being a different park and there being no boy with a stick, but he decided trains cars and a sandbox were more fun for now.

    ReplyDelete